The New Face of Estee Lauder: Kendall Jenner

Monday, November 17, 2014

 All Photo Credits: www.esteelauder.com


I've never really used this blog as an outlet to discuss current events or gossip but I did want to make some comments on how I feel about this move by Estee Lauder. On Saturday November 15th I was sitting at my local Starbucks blogging, I had had a long day and decided to get some work done instead of going out. As I was finding links for my post I needed to go to the Lauder site and this was when I saw Kendall Jenner blasted on the front page. To see what I had missed on social media that day because this was news to me, I went onto Kendall's Instragram page and sure enough she had made her announcement that she was the new face of Estee Lauder.


Now I first want to say that I don't have much of an opinion on the "Kardashians." I'll catch their shows every now and then but I don't watch much TV to begin with so they are often missed. You could say that I disagree with a lot of the ways they promote themselves but at the end of the day they have been able to remain constantly relevant for about 7 years now and that alone is pretty impressive.



As far as this move is concerned, my opinion is that it is a genius one on the part of Lauder. It's funny because lately I have really been thinking about this brand (as mentioned in my Luxe Purchase w/ Purchase Post) and I really do feel that their products are usually overlooked, especially by younger makeup  and skincare users. There are lots of new brands out there with new faces promoting themselves, brands with an edge that in some cases are born on social media and a younger audience is gravitating toward a company they feel they can relate to. Lauder has been around for a very long time and I know that most of us associate the brand with our mothers or grandmothers. Though the company is still making great numbers, they do need to build new cliental as their best customer base continues to age. Kendall really is an amazing choice because of how well that family is able to maintain their presence. Her connection with this company was so immediate that her fans have even taken over the #esteelauder hashtag. I just did a search for images of her with the company and thousands of photos have hijacked the tag to promote themselves and their businesses and this is the result in a matter of days, and to me her influence will only continue to grow.




I know there are lots of other points to be discussed on this, people are upset because of Kim's photos for Paper Magazine and other negative associations with the family. Even with all of that aside I still think this was a great idea. She is young, beautiful, relevant and has a large built in fan base. She really is exactly what Lauder needed to tap into this younger market and it will be interesting to see how their sales will continue to grow because of this move.



So if you want to tell me what you think about this, please leave me a comment! I'd love to hear your feedback.

Post a Comment